[Korean study series 12]
This book is the first English edition which describes the history of Korean motion pictures.
The Motion Picture Promotion Corporation is very much indebted to world film men for this book, who are deeply interested in Korean film, especially today.
This fact is the same case with the author of this book, myself. Film critics, film historians, and film students around the world, whom I have met or haven't yet, not only told me that they desire to know more about Korean film history but asked me to tell them about Korean films. Of course, this international interest in Korean films is derived from the fact that Korean films in the 1980s began to be attracted to many international film festivals around the world. They were also introduced to foreign countries through TV and Korean film weeks.
The 1980s brought about a great crop of Korean films, and I, the author of this book, am very much pleased with the fruits of this effort. For Korea, its film history began with the advent of foreign film in 1903 and the first film production began in 1919. Therefore, Korean film history will reach its 70th birthday at the time of publication of this book.
한국영화사를 처음 영문으로 소개한 이 책은 한국영화에 깊은 관심을 가진 세계영화인들에 대한 영화진흥공사 및 저자의 사의의 표현이다. 저자가 직간접적으로 접촉한 세계 도처의 영화평론가, 영화사가, 학생들은 한국영화사와 한국영화에 대해 궁금해 했다. 한국영화에 대한 이런 세계적 관심은 물론 1980년대부터 한국작품들이 국제영화제들에 초청되고 외국방송이나 한국영화주간을 통해서도 소개되면서부터이다. 한국에 외국영화가 처음 소개된 게 1903년이고 한국에서 첫 영화가 제작된 것이 1919년이니 이 책이 출간될 때 한국영화사는 70회 생일을 맞는 셈이다.
ㅡMAIN CURRENT OF KOREAN CINEMA
1. PREHISTORIC ERA-THE FIRST IMPORT OF FOREIGN MOTION PICTURES AND ITS ESTABLISHMENT
2. EARLY DAYS OF MOTION PICTURE PRODUCTION
3. THE ESTABLISHING OF NATIONALISTIC FILMS
4. EMERGENCE OF SOUND MOVIES AND THE 1930s
5. CLIMAX OF JAPANESE OPPRESSION OVER KOREAN PEOPLE
6. LIBERATION FROM JAPAN AND RESURRECTION OF KOREAN FILMS
7. KOREAN WAR (JUNE 23, 1950)-FILM MAKING IN WAR TIME
8. KOREAN FILMS ENCOUNTER A BOOM PERIOD
9. INDUSTRIALIZATION IN FILM MAKING
10. CONTROL BY GOVERNMENT FILM POLICY
11. NEW CHAPTER OF KOREAN FILM HISTORY-FREEDOM OF FILM PRODUCTION
12. IN CLOSING-A SHORT PROSPECT
ㅡREFERENCE : GENERAL INFORMATION OF KOREAN FILMDOM
1. MOTION PICTURE INDUSTRY STATUS
2. SUMMARY OF CURRENT FILM LAW
3. HISTORY OF MOTION PICTURE LAW AND REGULATIONS
4. DOMESTIC FILM AWARDS
5. FILM ORGANIZATIONS & ASSOCIAIONS
6. FILM EDUCATION INSTITUTE
9. FEATURE FILM WHICH RECORDED MORE THAN 100,000 TICKET SALES(IN SEOUL)
10. CHRONOLOGICAL TABLE OF KOREAN FILM HISTORY (1945-1986)
11. FILMOGRAPHIES OF ACTIVE DIRECTORS